Friday 20 November 2015

Better Late Than Never: Hawks 4, Oilers 3 and Wednesday's Big Boy

Yup, late again 'cos I watched this one on DVR a day later.  Hey, it's tough to keep up with these Western Tours.  Points!
- This one felt like three different games, in a way, with The Oilers being the better team in the first, The Hawks getting serious in the second and a pretty even third period, despite The Oilers holding the edge in shots.  It's not surprising, then, that this one went into extra innings.  
- On that tack, sort of, the shot count vs. the outcome once again illustrates that, while The Oilers are becoming increasingly well appointed up front, their defense is still very much a work in progress. The Oilers are going to outshoot better teams from time to time but, for now, their thin defense is going to even things out.
- I don't know what, exactly, went on at The Oiler's training camp but it's ridiculous to consider that Leon Draisaitl failed to make this team from the get-go and Darnell Nurse was "on the bubble" as they say.  I wonder if that's a reflection on their effort in camp or a goofy coaching staff, 'cos those two were the best Oilers in this game, apart from Taylor "When Does This Contract Expire" Hall.
- I've finally seen Teddy Purcell do something, now.
- I watched this on SportsNet which was a strange and slightly frustrating experience.  Their local broadcast team, who apparently are Kevin Quinn and Drew Remenda, are the least impartial hockey broadcasters I've heard since Jim Huson and Craig Simpson.  I didn't immediately realize The Hawks had scored their second and third goals due to these guys' non-reactions.  Like Simpson, Kevin Quinn has never bothered to read the NHL Players Guide, as he consistently said "Jarmalson".  I complain about Pat & Eddie (okay, Eddie) from time to time but games like this remind that they're doing a good job, really.  
- Still on the broadcasters, Remenda was still grinding away about Crawford's save in OT when Hoss scored the winner which, mercifully, gave him something actually worthy of complaint.  He's probably still moaning about The Hawks having too many men on the ice.  ALSO, neither of these fellas noticed or bothered to mention that Teravainen left the bench in the second period.
- Enough Oiler talk: Once again, the Art Line was awesome and the rest were patchy, at best.  The fourth line, Brandon Mashinter and all, had the best looks in the first, I thought, but when Teuvo went down they had precious few shifts together as the lines got kinda wonky after that.
- Even without seeing the vein pulsing on Quenneville's temple I pinpointed the shift that caused Dano to take a time out.  I was surprised to see him return to Toews and Hossa at all, actually, after he lazy-assed his way back into the defensive zone on consecutive shifts.  I'm starting to think Dano cannot really be arsed.
- Now that I've seen Purcell contribute something I have renewed hope that Garbutt will someday do the same.  I shan't hold my breath, however.
- Hey, Kruger got a point!  Game 19.
Any member of The Art Line could have been bestow'n the mystical pants-holder-upper, but tonight I go with Crawford.  The Pouliot goal was a bit sketchy, I thought, but all was forgiven after this.
                     Apropos of nothing I am smitten with olde English on this eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment