Monday 4 January 2016

Hometown Hockey, News and Stuff, Hawks Win 3-0 and Sunday's Big Boy

Exhausted.  Today, SportsNet descended on my home city, Thunder Bay, and held one of their Hometown Hockey events.  While oozing in sentimentality, cliché and that icky motormouth Ron MacLean, it was actually pretty fun.  I checked out the event site in the afternoon - very nicely done and people looked like they were having a good time - and watched the game in the evening.  Had to watch it on SportsNet, though, so I got to see all the Thunder Bay hockey culture and local lore during the breaks, but I also had to put up with MacLean some more (the Garrison Keillor of hockey?) and HOLY SHIT Glenn Healy is an idiot.  Once again, watching a game on SN makes me realize that Foley and Edzo are not so bad.
Anyway...
- The Hawks hardly seemed troubled in this one.  Crawford possibly did not require a shower after the game, his only tough saves being on a couple of rebounds.  Easy money, baby.
- I'll put this down to "as Erik Karlsson goes, so go The Senators", and Karlsson didn't really get going tonight.  He wasn't terrible, by any means (apart from allowing Desjardins to strip him of the puck in the last moments, but he had clearly had enough by then) but for Ottawa to be anything other than terrible he needs to be brilliant.  Also, The Sens are pretty bad.
- On The Hawks' side, very few standouts, really.  I thought TVR had a strong game, actually and, a few minor yips aside, so did Gustafsson.  Didn't notice Seabrook much and didn't even realize Garbutt played tonight until I saw him leave the ice after the game.  I still like what I see from Danault and I don't mind that Desjardins - Danault - Teravainen trio.  I wouldn't mind it if Danault spent some time with Yanic Perreault, though, 'cos he's not been good at the dot.
- Rozsival cracked me up in the second when it looked as if he might join the rush with Kane.  Then he realized he didn't now what "rush" meant, bailed out and nearly collided with Kane.  It's gold, Jerry, gold.
So, THE NEWS:
- During the game Jeremy Morin was sent packing, yet again, this time to Toronto where he will find himself on their second line within a few weeks, in exchange for something called Richard Panik. I know nothing about this Panik but I can read a stat sheet as well as anyone, and Panik is a 20pt/yr, biggish body kinda guy.  Hey, we happen to have a bunch of 10pt/yr biggish body kinda guys, so this counts as an upgrade.
                                I don't know Ryan Garbutt but, yes, I am better than him.

- David Rundblad was loaned to Zurich Lions in the Swiss A-League.  Now, I had read that The Hawks could bury all of Rundblad's salary if and only if he played in Rockford.  There is, as I recall, some counter-intuitive salary cap manipulation that can be performed in which a GM spends more now to gain cap relief later.  Maybe?  I admit I'm pretty hazy on a lot of the salary cap regulations and have not yet bothered to investigate this but, when I do (I won't) I'll explain it all here (won't do that either).
Back to tonight:
He scored the game winner, blocked four shots and, basically, just did what he always did.  In this sleepwalker of a game, Duncan Keith was the best player.
                                    Four Norris Trophies on a square meter of ice...

No comments:

Post a Comment