Friday 24 June 2016

This Just In: Shaw to MTL for Picks

From blackhawks.nhl.com:
The Chicago Blackhawks tonight acquired two second-round picks (39th and 45th overall) in the 2016 National Hockey League Draft from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forward Andrew Shaw.

Oh boy, this comes out of left field, from my Perspective of Complete Ignorance™, anyway.  I kinda believed the plan was to use the dosh freed up by banishing Bickell & Teravainen to get Shaw re-upped but, that said, Stan never tells me anything. I do imagine that an effort was made to renew vows with Shaw, but either the price was too high and/or Stan has something else cooking.  If that something involves a legitimate top-four defenseman I'm quite okay with that, in theory anyway.  Who can say on Draft Weekend, right?  It had just better not be Dan Hamhuis.

Often effective, sometimes ridiculously miscast and occasionally embarrassing, Shaw was a fan favourite, and I guess I'll miss his ability to tip in goals while in the goalie's kitchen but, any sentimentality aside, what's he worth in dollars per year?  Three mil?  Probably not four, but I'll bet the asking price was north of that.  The Hawks have a couple of options for filling the gap in Ryan Hartman or even Dale Weise if his price is agreeable. Plus it's Draft Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment