Wednesday 11 May 2016

I Guess I Just Really Like Yacht Rock


Yeah, so I often play my YouTube playlist whilst using teh intrabwez.  
379 songs.  From an archaeological perspective it's interesting to scroll through the list and see "chunks" of songs from particular genres, bands or eras.  Sometimes these arise from it occurring to me that I would like to hear Forgotten Song X and then the list gets plumped up with other songs from the sidebar, or another person's playlist. Everybody knows about The YouTube Wormhole.

One morning I added a shit ton of Yacht Rock songs.  It started with Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan which, of course, led to more Steely Dan. The stuff in the sidebar led to lots of "They played that?  I love that song" moments and, on that particular morning I was indiscriminate.
Player
Christopher Cross
10CC
Pablo Cruise
Fucking Ambrosia

But no Toto. I have some standards.

Anyway, the soon-to-be-acclaimed Amy Jones tweeted something innocuous a few days ago that launched me into a "VIOLENT FEMMES!  I FORGOT ABOUT THOSE GUYS" thing.  Two hours and another couple dozen songs later I had buried the Yacht Rock, a little bit, at least.

Task done, I got to work on something else, but I clicked the Go button to have my new/old finds play in the background.  Within a few hours the Yacht Rock has resurfaced, and it was the best thing I had heard all day. That was a tough truth to learn.
Still, watch this and tell me if the Burton Cummings-looking guy doesn't KILL it with the sax.

No comments:

Post a Comment