Sunday 9 October 2016

One More Spin: Blues 2, Hawks 1, Preseason Schedule Mercifully Over


Well, that was as boring as a Devils/Coyotes matchup on a Tuesday night in January.

I fully expected The Hawks to test drive some young wingers with Toews tonight, and assumed Hossa would come out and do a few laps, but neither star even dressed for the game.  In fact, The Hawks went with four 4th lines, essentially, for one last look at the handful of fellas still in the running for the 2-3 forward spots, as well as an opportunity for the aspiring d-men to get a leg up in a very tight competition for a roster spot that may not even exist.

Since this was an entirely flat, unexciting game, I offer these unentertaining observations.
- It was somewhat gratifying that The Hawks kept up with a Blues squad that consisted entirely of actual NHL players.  Sure, Bouwmeester and Schwartz sat out, but since Schwartz misses half the games, anyway, we'll call this a viable Blues lineup.
- I see no reason for Nick Schmaltz to make this team.  Evidently, he played 17 minutes tonight and somehow avoided being noticed at all.
- As flat as The Blues were they were still that much better than some of the lineups The Hawks have faced in this preseason, and that put the performances of some of the Hawks Hopefuls into perspective.  Fortin and Hinostroza found themselves with a lot less time and space in which to work, and Forsling, for the first time, really, looked a little less confident and a bit rushed.  Motte was better; not as dynamic as in his last two games but he didn't look out of his depth.  Hartman looked okay, I thought, but the role he's auditioning for is not terribly dependent on controlling the puck.
- I sincerely hope that putting Tootoo out there with the net empty was a going-away present from the coaching staff.

I had hoped to draft up something for the opening night lines & pairings, but the situation is so cloudy I just don't know if it's even worth doing.  I will make a few specific predictions, though.
- Despite all hopes and expectations otherwise it will be Toews, Hossa and Panik on opening night.  When Panik washes out Motte draws in.
- Hartman and not Schmaltz makes the cut, which suits me 'cos it always takes me several tries to type "Schmaltz".  Does that leave room for Hinostroza?  I guess that depends on how many D The Hawks end up carrying.
- Keith and TVR on the first pairing, because....well, I have no explanation for it apart from an increasingly dark world view.  Okay, they'll say some shit about "balance".

Alright, that's it until Wednesday, unless I receive some intel from The Hawks' practices.  Which I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment