Sunday 20 December 2015

Just Good Enough: Hawks 3, Sabres 2 and Saturday's Big Boy

Or was it that The Sabres were just bad enough?  Taking two penalties in the dying moments of a tight game...not usually a hallmark of a successful endeavor but, then again, it was The Hawks' speed and skill that forced those misdeeds...it's a push.
- Unfortunately, this was one of those games in which The Hawks had a decent first period and then decided to mail in the last two periods.  I can't say I noticed Teravainen after the first period and that simply won't do.  Was it the early start, or a lack of urgency due to being up against a feckless opponent that found themselves unexpectedly in this game?  Hard to say, but Teuvo wasn't the only Hawk who disappeared for 30+ minutes and, while they'll sometimes get away with this vs. non-playoff teams, they'll be buried by Dallas, St. Lewis etc.
- One question: what was the idea with keeping Danault's line out for a faceoff in the offensive zone after a TV time out?  
- Not a bad effort from Phillip Danault.  He ended up -1 but did some good backchecking, kept his feet moving and did well at the dot.  No PK duty, but I expect that will come, soon enough.
- Quick - tell me which Hawk is most likely to take a penalty in overtime.  Yep.
- I'm rather liking this Rasmussen guy but I have to say that his impressive goal was tempered somewhat by his apparent belief, later in the game, that he was in a rugby game.  I don't know when I've seen so many superfluous back-passes.
- That O'Reilly guy is pretty good when he's not drunk and plowing a pickup through a Tim Horton's.  Why isn't he in jail, BTW?  Every time I do that I end up in jail.
Speaking of not being jail.
Kane was among the many Hawks who took a powder for more than half the match but managed to rematerialize when it mattered.  It took a deliciously shady pass from Panarin to set up the tying goal but, once that was done, I felt this vibe that Kane would finish the thing, as well.
                                            Hey Chad, what's feckless mean?


No comments:

Post a Comment