Saturday 19 December 2015

Once a Jackass...

Earlier this week former NHLer Patrick O'Sullivan remarked on Twitter:

Burrows only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did — why I can’t stand him. Right to my face, twice actually. Once in the minors and once in Vancouver early in my career.
Vancouver Canucks forward Alexandre Burrows was referring to O'Sullivan's father, who subjected his son to many years of physical and emotional abuse.  On Thursday night Burrows made a public apology for the verbal missteps that occurred almost 10 years ago.

“I apologize if I offended him back then. Especially when I first came in [to the NHL], I was playing six or seven minutes a night on the fourth line and I wanted to help any way I could. And if I could get one guy off his game and get in someone’s kitchen, I was willing to do it to help our team or maybe get [us] on the power play."

Nice.  First, let's assume that Burrows was shamed or even ordered to make the apology publicly.  Second, he says "if I offended him", as if there is any doubt whatsoever regarding Burrows' intention when he said it or how O'Sullivan would react to the remark.  Including that "if" is kind of like saying "I'm sorry you feel that way", as if it's now Burrows who is being troubled by this.  It's a backhanded, insincere apology, and Burrows isn't sorry he said what he did, only that he's been called out for it.
Burrows continued: 
"I think I’ve matured a lot. I grew as a player and a person and in today’s society, for sure, it’s something I’ve got to be careful [about]. I wouldn’t cross that line now.”

Whatever. This is on the back of Burrows being spoken to by The NHL in November for making personal and hurtful comments to New Jersey's Jordin Tootoo.  That was quite a month of growth there, Alex.
So, yeah, once a jackass...and not kidding anyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment