Saturday 16 April 2016

More Drama than a Bus Full of Drag Queens Heading to a Wig Sale: Hawks 3, Blooos 2 and Friday's Big Boy

I'm generally not a fan of the whole "going upstairs" thing and coaches' challenges and all that.  I prefer to maintain the human element, however flawed it may seem from time to time, and I fear that this constant second-guessing of on-ice officials will only lead to higher and higher expectations.
But that stuff went all right for The Hawks tonight.
Here are the super-brief-up-past-my-bedtime notes.
- I wrote something a few weeks ago about bad passing and I'm sorry to say that those days are upon us once again.  The Hawks had generally good legs, good positioning and decent drive in the the second and third periods, but the passing was imprecise.  One-timers failed or were abandoned when the pass came in too close to the body and, more infuriating, too many passes were weak and slow, causing the recipient to either wait too long for the puck or make them change their body positioning to accept an off-target pass.  It's not like The Blues mounted an especially aggressive forecheck, either - it just looked like sloppy play from my angle.
- Ladd was bad, and he'll know that and will try to correct it, I believe.
- You know what Svedberg did to get himself benched for 2/3 of the game?  Nothing!
- Crawford was very good.  That last-second goal against will have pissed him off to no end and that's probably a Good Thing.
- I really liked Richard Panik tonight. As is often the case, he accomplished nothing where the scoresheet is concerned but he made a nuisance of himself each and every shift.  And, like I always say, he never stops moving his feet.  Panik played more "physical hockey" in this game than Mashinter has in his life.  It helps when you can skate well enough to catch an opponent now and then...
- So, here in Canada, we got this game on SportsNet who chose to show us the St. Louis broadcast (I dunno if it was CSN or Fox or what).  I thought those two goombas who do the Edmonton games were bad but Darren Pang is easily the worst colour man working today.  He doesn't know how to say some of The Blues' players' names, is just as inane as Pierre Maguire and continuously miscalls the events on the ice.  Continuously.  I so hope that SportsNet gets the CSN or NBC feed for Sunday, 'cos I don't know how much more of that little jackass I stand.
                                                                  He's back!
                            Boo him all you like, he's still better than any of those Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment