Friday 22 April 2016

No Sleep 'til The U.C.: Hawks 4, Bluets 3 and Thursday's Big Boy

Late again 'cos I just watched this thing tonight. How I managed to get through the day without any SPOILERS is beyond me.
It's likely all been said, so it'll just be quick & dirty stuff today.
- The Hawks were rarely great, occasionally good, pretty lucky once or twice and kind of a mess a lot of the time.  It looked to me a lot like one of those games in mid-to-late-March, in which they skated well enough but were just out of sync with each other and with their passes. It wasn't all awful, but they won't likely get away with this kind of effort again, not in this series, anyway.

- Have I mentioned that I like Richard Panik, the guy who couldn't make The Maple Leafs?  While I am certain that he is not regular basis first line material, I mostly liked him skating with Toews & Kane.  There were a couple of occasions where a winger with better, or any, hands would have made a better play than Panik had, but his corner work was exemplary and that effort left T&K more available for other things.  I finally figured out who he reminds me of; Jocelyn Lemieux.  Panik appears to take greater care in his own well being than ol' Joc, though, or maybe he simply has a frame more suited for recklessly launching himself into anything not wearing red white & black.  Anyway, that was a compliment.  
- I was astonished that Q was sending the fourth line out there, not only late in the third period but in the overtime frames, as well.  Dez was fine, as much as he can be, and Weiss had a handful of inspired if chaotic shifts, but Mashinter... oh boy.  This was all the more strange given that Q is typically Mr. Short Bench in a tight game.  I just know that if he persists with this Mashinter thing it's gonna bite him in the ass sooner than later.
- I don't think I've seen David Rundblad play with such confidence, although I'll admit that he worried me more than a little bit when he was swanning around deep in the STL zone.  That said, maybe 6+ minutes of that was about right and we can work our way up to 8 or 9 minutes on Saturday if things go well.
- Seabrook has to be better.  He was on the ice for all three goals against was very much in the play and failing to do what is expected of him on at least two of those goals.  
- On the other hand, I hardly noticed TVR, which I consider a success.
How about that Corey Crawford, eh?
I thought, at first, that Schwarz's goal was a bit soft but, after looking at a whole bunch...that was about as perfectly placed a shot as you're likely to see. All credit to The Hawks' No,1 Guy for keeping them in it long enough to win it.


No comments:

Post a Comment